Mechanical Engineering established in the year 2002 with an intake of 60 has flourished with full fledge labs and ably supported by qualified faculty. The technocrats of mechanical engineering can conceptualize, simulate, and validate the concepts and other basic principles like gravity, motion, mechanisms, energy and the forces involved using appropriate simulators. The scope of mechanical engineering, involves designing of objects from a simple pin to Aeroplane, manufacturing & maintenance which includes portable nut to aircrafts, Quality checking, and validation of automatically fallows. In addition, it also deals with material science, mechanics of fluids, dynamics of heat, automation, robotics, conventional and renewable energy sources. The current trend involves mechatronics, techniques of smart manufacturing, nano technology, bio medical applications and digital manufacturing. In brief the field offers a plethora of job opportunities. The basic qualification in mechanical engineering will open the gate way for higher studies in the following domain with immense potential for employability
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) & Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM): These are the most powerful tools, which rules the mechanical industries in connection to designing, drafting and manufacturing. They are addressing the rapid industrialization needs in different dimensions.
- Production Engineering: Popularly known as manufacturing engineering and it deals with the techniques which support continuous improvement of production of the plant and its control in the cost effective manner, and also deals with problems encountered during manufacturing process.
- Installation & Maintenance: The proper installation and periodic maintenance are key factors of qualitative mass production which involves regular inspection of the machine’s preventive maintenance.
The top industries that offers prospect for employment
- Aerospace Industry: Adept knowledge and capacity to apply appropriate simulators like Solidworks, Hyper works, Auto Cad/ Ansys will increase the prospect of a career with reasonable pay
- Defence: In Defence system the military activity involves the usage of lot of machinery and equipment. For successful retaliation designing of such equipment bringing them into reality and its validation is done by involvement of mechanical engineers using the simulators
- Automotive Industries: The Electric vehicles are having high penetration in the market and will decide the automobile industry’s future. A thorough knowledge and skill will provide immense opportunities
- Energy sector: With the ever growing power plants that has turbine design and in wind/tidal/solar power, a proficiency in handling/designing software will improve the prospect
When coming to the reputed public and government sectors, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL), Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) recruit mechanical graduates.